A PDF version of the report is available below. If you want to open the report in a separate window, right click on the hyperlink.
Read the report (English) (PDF, 756 kB)
Pour lire le rapport (français) (PDF, 433 kB)
More information on the maps (sources, cartographic accuracy etc.) can be found in the report under the heading: 'Presentation of the map collection'.
1. Web maps
For instructions on how to use the web maps, see Annexe 2 in the above report.
September 2008 - A new map ‘Trade routes’ has been added and to all the other maps some adjustments have been made:
- the scale of the initial view has changed from 1:3,000,000 to 1:2,500,000 (1 cm = 25 km), that of the first zoom level from 1:1,500,000 to 1:1,000,000 (1 cm = 10 km), while that of the second zoom level has remained 1:500,000 (1 cm = 5 km)Unfortunately, due to logistic problems and the delicacy of the issue in the region, IPIS had to abandon the idea of publishing an ethnic map.
- some cartographic features (places, roads) were added or adjusted on the basis of the Kivu Spacemaps (RMCA) and of the latest version (August 2008) of the vector data of the ‘Référentiel Géographique Commun’
- some information was added, especially to the ‘Natural resources’, ‘FDLR’ and ‘Mayi-Mayi’ maps (these last are no updates)
- some minor corrections were made
View the web maps
2. PDF maps
The links below will lead you to a number of - slightly overlapping - PDF maps that cover our entire study area.
These PDF maps present a series of ‘layers’, containing most of the different features of the web maps mentioned above. The maps are truly interactive: the user can switch on (visualise) or off (hide) the different layers, making his own feature combinations. On the other hand, the PDF maps do not have search functions or lists and do not allow click actions on map objects.
To view the PDF maps with the different layers you need Adobe© Reader© version 6.0 or later. You can download the program for free from the Adobe© website.
View the PDF maps (legend):
- northeast (scale 1:1,000,000) (1,067 kB): cities of Beni and Butembo, territories of Beni and northeastern Lubero
- northwest (scale 1:1,000,000) (899 kB): city of Butembo, territories of Lubero (except southern extremity), western Beni and northern Walikale
- east: city of Goma, territories of Nyiragongo, Rutshuru, Masisi, eastern Walikale and southern Lubero
* northeast (scale 1:500,000) (4,213 kB): northern Rutshuru, northeastern Walikale, southern Lubero- west (scale 1:1,000,000) (3,300 kB): territory of Walikale
* southeast (scale 1:500,000) (9,223 kB): Goma, Nyiragongo, southern Rutshuru, eastern Masisi
* southwest (scale: 1:500,000) (7,585 kB): Masisi, southwestern Rutshuru, southeastern Walikale
* northwest (scale 1:500,000) (1,211 kB): northeastern Walikale, southwestern Lubero
- southeast (scale 1:1,000,000) (3,694 kB): city of Bukavu, territories of Idjwi (island), Kalehe, Kabare, Walungu and eastern Shabunda
- southwest (scale 1:1,000,000) (1,287 kB): territories of Shabunda (northern half) and southern Walikale