This is a 90% FTE permanent contract of unlimited duration.
Job description: Based in the IPIS office in Antwerp, you will support the research projects at IPIS by streamlining the information flows and managing the IPIS database. You will also perform on-demand statistical and geospatial analysis, participate in research through quantitative reporting and create printed and interactive maps. You will manage some specific GIS consultancies with external partners, and dedicate some time to offer general IT support to the staff.
Position in the organization: You will be part of the GIS team, including you, a GIS manager and GIS intern. Together you will maintain and develop the GIS infrastructure. You will also be in close contact with the project managers of the various research projects to develop and execute the GIS work within their research projects and participate in data analysis and report writing.
Salary: The salary is competitive to the Belgian NGO sector.
Start date: Preferably September 2nd, 2019
- Streamlining the information flows and managing the IPIS database.
- Performing on-demand statistical and geospatial analysis, and expand our automated data analysis using RStudio.
- Participate in research projects through quantitative reporting.
- Creating printed and interactive maps.
- Conceiving and developing new maps and tools for upcoming projects.
- Developing the long-term GIS and Open Data strategy.
- Occasionally train enumerators in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Occasionally organising Mapathons or workshops in-house.
- Occasionally managing small projects delivering GIS consultancy to our partners.
- Offering first-order IT support to the team.
- A Master degree in a related field, or 3 years of relevant professional experience in GIS or data management.
- Experience with R, and a data management framework (dplyr, pandas, …).
- Experience with QGIS.
- Experience with SQL (Postgres, PostGIS).
- Basic experience with HTML-JS-CSS.
- Experience of working and basic troubleshooting in a Mac environment.
- Good working knowledge of English.
- Willingness to occasionally travel to sub-Saharan Africa (as part of a team).
- Demonstrated ability to show initiative and work independently and as part of a team.
- A tendency to strive for a tidy and well structured data and project environment.
Applicants must already be allowed to work in Belgium (be a EU/EEA or Swiss national, or have a Belgian work permit).
- Technical experience with python, Mapbox GL JS, D3JS, app frameworks, git, command line.
- Experience with Mobile Data collection (ODK/Kobo), Adobe Illustrator, Satellite imagery or OpenStreetMap.
- Experience with statistics in a research context.
- Working knowledge of French or Dutch.
- Experience in sub-Saharan Africa.
Please send a recent CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before 11/08/2019. In the cover letter please briefly explain the reason for your interest in the post and why you would be best suited for the position.
Those selected in the initial round of applications will be invited to participate in a home-based GIS/data test. The test will be organized in August. Those candidates with the highest scores in this test will be invited for a panel interview at our offices or via Skype, mid-August.
IPIS is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate on grounds of sex, race, ethnic origin, religious belief, sexual orientation, age or disability. As such, IPIS welcomes applications from candidates of all backgrounds.