IPIS is recruiting a researcher, starting as soon as possible
This is a 90% FTE permanent contract. The recruitment will also serve to establish a small recruitment base for additional hirings for long and short term contracts. Therefore, eligible candidates are highly encouraged to participate.
Job description: Based in the IPIS office in Antwerp, you will carry out research projects and capacity enhancement activities on issues related to peace, development and human rights. You will disseminate structured information and analysis through written publications and presentations. You will specifically execute research projects related to the (ir)responsible sourcing of natural resources impacting sustainable development .
Position in the organisation: This is a researcher post for an individual who will work both independently and as part of a team. This post holder will report to the director.
Salary: The salary is competitive to the Belgian NGO sector.
- Deliver structured information and analysis based on desk and field research
- Develop and deliver capacity building projects with local partners
- Secure project funding to ensure the continuity of IPIS’ research projects
- Perform administrative tasks as needed, such as project management and reporting
- Master’s degree in social science with a preference for law, conflict & development, political science, governance, or development economics
- Demonstrated research, analysis and writing skills
- Experience of developing and delivering training and other interactive information sessions
- Knowledge and experience of issues pertaining natural resources governance, mineral supply chains, conflict and development in fragile contexts
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant professional experience
- Excellent verbal and written command of English or French and a good working knowledge of the other language. We encourage native French speakers to apply
- Field experience in sub-Saharan Africa is desirable and willingness to travel to the region to conduct field research is essential
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to show initiative and work both independently and as part of a team
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Willingness to engage with a wide range of stakeholders, including ngo’s, academic researchers, policy makers, and business actors
Selection process: Please send a recent CV, cover letter and a 700 word writing sample (in English or French) to firstname.lastname@example.org before 31/08/2015, 5.00 pm Brussels time. In the cover letter please briefly explain the reason for your interest in the post, why you would be best suited for the position and why you have chosen the writing sample you have submitted.
Those selected in the initial round of applications will be invited to participate in a home-based written test. The test will be organised between 07/09 and 11/09. Those candidates with the highest scores in this test will be invited for a panel interview at our offices or via Skype, in the week of 21 September.
IPIS is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate on grounds of sex, race, ethnic origin, religious belief, sexual orientation, age or disability. As such, IPIS welcomes applications from candidates of all backgrounds.